• This topic is empty.
Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous

In the next few weeks I'm going to get some rockrails and skid plates for the FJ.  Keeping the body and of course the mechanical parts in shape is a top priority for me.  In some of the research I've been doing, I see that some of the parts have to be welded on.  I guess I would liekt o avoid that if possible and get bolt on goodies.Any suggestions on brands, quality, what to look for, what to avoid?  Best bang for the buck?

Gone Walkabout
      Participant

Hokie, I have the All-Pro Skids. They look good and are in a sense bulletproof. I have the tranny skid as well. As for the sliders I have the ARB sliders. They are light and bolt on (like every other sliders I have seen for the FJ).-Ben

Anonymous

I saw one set of sliders that you had to weld as well, not sure of the brand off hand.  What do you think of the Demello stuff? 

Gone Walkabout
      Participant

I saw one set of sliders that you had to weld as well, not sure of the brand off hand.  What do you think of the Demello stuff? 

Personally I think they have the best reputation of them all. (with the exception of ARB)-Ben

Anonymous

Personally I think they have the best reputation of them all. (with the exception of ARB)-Ben

Their stuff with the blackpowder coat looks pretty sweet from the pics and they do talk about the lighter weight (which usually means thinner steel) but I kind of want a good balance of strength without building a freaken tank in weight.

Doug Dobrynski

I have the Expedition One sliders.  They run a bit more $$$ wise but they have steps for my son to step on for getting in and out of the truck.

vripley
      Participant

Toyota stock on mine. So far, so good.BTW - I have given them a thorough breaking in...(:

CGChief
      Participant

I have not done skids yet, but I am running the Trail Gear sliders.  They weigh around 35 pounds each.  Bolted right on with no problems at all.

Anonymous

I like the all pro sliders as well how they flair out in the back.  Not sure how big I'll go with the tires though so may look like the flying nun's ride…

RickRock
      Participant

The stock sliders are MORE than adequate, and hve been beaten pretty good on my rig.  As far as skids are concerned, I personally think the Bud-Built skids are, far and away, the best available.  They not only are thick (3/16″), but have been well thought out – overlaps are to the rear, bolt heads are mostly flat, no protursions, and they cover most all of the important running gear.R

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll check out hte Bud built skids, as for the rails I found that write up on the “mother forum” with a good comparison, I think I'm leaning torwards the Demello rails, like the looks, good price and sounds like they are a quality company.What's the scanguage II that I see loads of people have listed on their mods??

CGChief
      Participant

Here is a link to the scan gauge II.http://www.scangauge.com/There is also a group buy post on the mother forum with a good price for 'em.

MarylandFJ1
      Participant

I have the All-Pro sliders.  The rear flare is nice for protecting the rear quarter panel.  The only downside to the All-Pro sliders is that they come unfinished.  So you will either need to paint them or get them powder coated.  Or you could do a Line X coating, which I heard works pretty well.  I got mine powder coated for a reasonable $40.

Anonymous

I just ordered the All Pro sliders, should be here in 6-8 days.  I understand that they are unfinished and the popular route seems to be powder coating or rattle can.  What prep work needs to be done if I were to go the rattle can route?*BTW they have their full set set of skids on sale for $575:  FJ Cruiser Skid Plates - buy all 3 together and save 25%. For only $575 (reg. $767) you get the protection you need with the heavy-duty IFS Skid Plate, Transmission Skid Plate, and Tcase/Exhaust Skid Plate, link: http://www.allprooffroad.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=93

MarylandFJ1
      Participant

I would recommend looking at the web site for some of the paint manufacturers.  They should give you a good idea of how to do it.  Likely you will just need to make sure it is clean.Powder coating was cheap for me, since they come unfinished.  Another option, which I may have done if I had it to do over again, is getting a Line X (http://www.line-x.com/)coating.  It is nicer than powdercoat or paint in that it is textured.  Supposed to be very tough too.

RickRock
      Participant

I had a long talk with Bud when I bought my skids and we talked about Lin-X and other bed coatings.  He recommends against it.  He has had several reports of it creating so much friction on rocks that the plates couldn't do their job of sliding off of an obstacle…..I used spray cans and plan to do it every couple of months….One tip – paint the upper surfaces white, so that when you loose a socket or nut from above, you can see it on the white surface better!  Works!R

Anonymous

One tip - paint the upper surfaces white, so that when you loose a socket or nut from above, you can see it on the white surface better!  Works!R

thats a pretty good tip!

Anonymous

So RickRock, you just cleaned up the rails and painted them?  No additional prep?  Sorry if these questions sound stupid, I have had 0 experience painting anything other then walls.I was planing on painting them a silver / gray like RocKrawlers and then at some point blacking out the rest of the silver on the truck. 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Rock Rails and Skid Plates’ is closed to new replies.

© 2007 - 2021, FJ Bruisers 

Contact the FJ Bruisers

Questions or comments- please fill in the form below and we'll get back to you within one business day.

Sending

Forgot your details?