Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Doug Dobrynski 1 year, 6 months ago.

• Author
     Doug Dobrynski 

Keep your eyes open for details about our next rally!!

gearwrench 
    Participant

On it!

Mountainclimber 

FJ Bruiser 

Here is all the info and link to Registration page.

Quite a few photos from past rallies as well.

Rally Fore

Any questions- Ask away.

When: Weekend of June 10th, 2017 approximately 9:00 AM.

Where: Green Ridge State Forest, in Western Maryland.

Who: You and a navigator!  Both are mandatory prior to signing up.

What: Rally, FORE!!

Cost: $30 per vehicle.  Limited to the first 30 vehicles.

Hot Toddy 
    Participant

I received an email that says:

The LAST MAJOR EVENT for the FJ Bruisers Offroad Club!

What does this mean?  Last ever?

FJ Bruiser 

Very likely.

4Rocker 
    Participant

Woo hoo!  Registered!

RickRock 
    Participant

I am registered!  My son, Garrett, will be my navigator.  We will be fresh off of a Track Day at Summit Point the previous weekend, so you can find us at the apexes!  (My rig will have my latest mod – an IV pole!)

Mountainclimber 

I am registered! My son, Garrett, will be my navigator. We will be fresh off of a Track Day at Summit Point the previous weekend, so you can find us at the apexes! (My rig will have my latest mod – an IV pole!)

Excellent.

IV Pole? We’ll have to see this.

Doug Dobrynski 

LOL!!

FJ Guy 

It will be good to see you Rick. You would be a sure winner if you bring the BMW.

I’ll be there helping to run this barrel of monkeys show. In addition to more dizzy producing medicine my Rx has put me on I will have new and recent experience with images from places where the sun don’t shine. So, be prepared for some tough questions and I’ll have plenty of new latex gloves.

FJ Guy 

I am starting to get things together for this fun weekend at Green Ridge State Forest. Got some new cots for the tent (thank you dear for the nice B Day present) and, I’m getting the “old” golf clubs ready. When I say “old” I mean Oooldddd, about 1935. I have two woods, one is a B12 Brassie, three hickory shafted Mid Irons, one chipping wedge and a Mashie Niblic. If I can’t figure out how to use these I’ll just grab the Cat Gut and Rawhide Lacrosse stick and start swingin. Hope to see you there.

Mountainclimber 

I know very little about golf. Maybe if there is a windmill involved.

Should I bring my Murray 7 Iron?

FJ Guy 

Eric, Bring it we both need the exercise and stress relief.

Doug Dobrynski 

Some initial data in.

Under 60 miles and under 5 hours.

FJ Bruiser 

Some initial data in.

Under 60 miles and under 5 hours.

Excellent.

Mountainclimber 

Remember- Registration ends at Midnight on June 8th, 2017!

RickRock 
    Participant

Damn, that was FUN!  I was concerned it might be getting old, but it turns out it NEVER gets old.  I remember thinking to myself a few weeks back:

“OK, What do we know about Dobrynski and his warped mind from previous encounters and years of exposing myself to his vibe – (But only in small doses, and only over a long period to time – I’m no idiot!) There will be obscure references to the culture of the 80’s and 90’s., but he’ll be in full bloom with the Caddyshack theme. That settles it – I need my son, Garrett, to help.  BONUS!  He’s an IT manager, a Math Major in college, knows is way around a compass and a movie and music fan born in 1979!  I am GOLDEN for a podium this year!  Mortal, effing, LOCK!

So, I showed up with my Secret Weapon as my Navigator, sized up the grid, drew an early starting time, and we hit the road. In the first 5 minutes Garrett was way ahead of me on directions and the TSD sections were easily calculated into a distance rather than having to drive with precision – suited me fine!  We HAD to be doing well.  The weather was great. The trails weren’t TOO washed out, the dust was manageable, and I know some of those roads like the back of my hand.  What could possibly go wrong?”

The front nine was quick and precise.  We were picking off checkpoints like ICE after illegals.

And then, it all went to hell…

It’s hard to point to a single thing, but it built into a crescendo of craziness.  How is it I can drive buy a spot, see nothing, drive back by it 30 seconds later and find a checkpoint?  Why can’t I remember who was in The Monkeys?   No one, ever, has known the names of the members of ABBA.  That’s a FACT!  No one.  Ever.  So that’s kinda like, a trick, right?   What, exactly, IS a “Skootch”?  It is obviously a unit of measurement for length, and has a diminutive, slight sense to it, so I think it to be any length up to .10 of a mile – something less than your car can measure, right?  Gotta call it something.  If it is further that that, it could be a Double Skootch!

We were WAY past our feeding time.  We were good American’s and ate our Subway foot-longs with vigor knowing DuPont and Monsanto relied on our feeding habits to pay dividends to shareholders. We felt better, but only had about an hour before the carb crash hit.  Git ‘er done!

Back to the campground and Challenge area?  That can’t be right. It is right.  Marshmallow snow ball cake golf balls? Ducking for candy bars?  Clay gophers?   We are screwed.  We have fallen down the rabbit hole, yet these things are for points? And they are SUBJECTIVELY graded?  By a 10 year old with an evil smile?

I have been Dobrynskied.  We’ll never pull this off.  He knew the reality of his universe was not for old men. Defeated on the battlefield of Culture.  I was, clearly, not hip.  I was a fool to think I could escape his gravity.  A lesser man would blame it on Russian collusion.  That settles it….to end this humiliation I will sleep with his wife.

Despite a third?, fourth? set of directions, several more passes by Dobrynskitown, and a half dead fox, (Really!), we found a few more checkpoints and we limped into the paddock, humbled and tired.

The next hour was the best of the day.  Old friends, a great day, stories beget memories begt new stories, and beer.  It was truly great being with you guys….Nice to see those memories grow with age.

And, Doug…Thanks.  Much.  Nobody has done for this club what you have, and we all really appreciate that.  Terrific rally!

R

gearwrench 
    Participant

Come on Bruisers all the rigs in the rally and not one single picture.

Doug Dobrynski 

Excellent write up as usual Rick! 🙂

Thanks again to everyone that came out and participated in the rally. I think everyone had a pretty great time out their in the woods and on the bike field.

Final standings:
    1st Place Truck 16
    2nd Place Truck 48
    3rd Place Truck 60
    Truck 52
    Truck 8
    Truck 3
    Truck 40
    Truck 24
    Truck 44
    DFL Truck 69

The points between 2nd and 3rd place was close!! A higher putting green score, or clay gopher, or Sno-Ball could have changed that outcome. Almost every other truck was just a checkpoint or two away from a podium finish. Really close race this year. And truck 16 dominated it.

Doug Dobrynski 

A road named after the famous Roman, Lucius But.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact the FJ Bruisers

Questions or comments- please fill in the form below and we'll get back to you within one business day.

Sending

© 2007 - 2018, FJ Bruisers 

Forgot your details?