This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  4Rocker 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

• Author
     4Rocker 
    Participant

Happy New Year’s Bruisers!

This past year I spent part of my family vacation in the Red River Gorge region of Kentucky and I think the area could make for a great club outing.  Id like to feel out any interest in a new club event for this coming summer.

Tentative Info:

What: Kentucky Adventure Run

Where: Near Slade, KY

When: June? 2018

Why might the club be interested?  Beautiful trails!  The region around Slade, KY is home to the Daniel Boone National Forest, Natural Bridge state park, and most importantly to us, the Daniel Boone Backcountry Byway (DBBB).  The DBBB is a 100-mile scenic loop through Kentucky’s backcountry that traverses a mix of terrain type, from tarmac to gravel road to water crossings and challenging off-road sections.  The loop can be run all at once or split over multiple days given the ‘hub-and-spoke’ layout of the area.  Ive had the opportunity to run ~3/5 of the trail so far and I cant wait to get back to finish the rest.

DBBB info and PDF map here: https://www.sfwda.org/dbbb/

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/goI0b7qrdYYm47uA2

Additionally, the 1000-mile Kentucky Adventure Tour (KAT) route includes this region in the northernmost section of their loop.  This route shows some additional, more challenging trails in the area that could be done.

KAT info:  http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/116377-The-Kentucky-Adventure-Tour-(KAT)-4×4-version

There is a regional 4×4 club that I am hoping to meet up with this spring to scout some other trails in the area that lead to fun destinations such as caves or scenic overlooks.

Accomodations: We have a few options.

Camping: There are several campgrounds in the area (Natural Bridge Campground and Callies Campground are recommended).  Alternatively, we could do a cabin or Yurt rental, similar to past OBX trips.  This would provide a great place to base out of for the trip and provide niceties such as laundry, full kitchen, wifi, and AC.  Last summer we rented through Red River Gorge Cabin Rentals, and they have some great facilities with many larger cabins/Yurts that could meet our group needs.  https://www.redrivergorgecabinrentals.com/  Bonus: There are also zipline and underground kayaking tours available.  I highly recommend both!

Would there be any interest in a trip like this?  If so, how many people, how long would we want to stay, and what timing would work best?

Montague 
    Participant

I’m interested.  Depends on exactly what weekend, of course.

Kirk

gearwrench 
    Participant

That looks like a fun time. Am interested as well.

KC3JJX

FreddieMac 
    Participant

would love to do this but have spent all of my vacation days on other plans. 2019 ?

Founding Father

4Rocker 
      Participant

We are 4 days into 2018 and you used them all?

Doug Dobrynski 
    Keymaster

He only had three days saved up!

4Rocker 
    Participant

Any suggested weekends from those who are interested?  If we want to go the cabin route, it would be good to book things early in the year if possible.  Im planning to do some scouting in the area in March, so we will be guaranteed some fun trails and sights.

Montague 
    Participant

It’s amazing how fast the calendar fills up.  The only weekend I have open in June now is the 9th and 10th.   Actually, the 30th and July 1st would work for me as well, but that’s close to July 4th, which is busy for a lot of folks.  Still, it might be a good time to go as well?

Kirk

RickRock 
    Participant

Is this idea still alive???   I’d be interested.

Founding Father

4Rocker 
    Participant

It still could be a possibility if folks are interested.  A few weekends ago I went to run the DBBB with a local club and had a blast.  Lots of great scenery and a few fun challenging areas.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Contact the FJ Bruisers

Questions or comments- please fill in the form below and we'll get back to you within one business day.

Sending

© 2007 - 2018, FJ Bruisers 

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account